Saturday, August 29, 2009

SEEKING HOPEFUL HORIZONS


I had never heard the song I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack until the day my niece, Vanessa, got married a few years ago. My brother, Jim, had chosen the song for the father/daughter dance at the reception. As I watched them dance and listened to the words I was struck by the messages the song expressed. I was also moved by the fact that my brother had chosen this song to convey to his daughter his dreams and wishes for her. At that moment, this song became one of my top favorites.
It is inspirational for me.
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder,
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger,
May you never take one single breath for granted,
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed,
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance....
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance.
Living might mean taking chances, but they're worth taking,
Loving' might be a mistake but it's worth making,
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter,
When you come close to selling out reconsider,
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance...
I hope you dance, I hope you dance.
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance...
Dance....I hope you dance.

So simple a song yet it says so much.
To me, it says to always see the beauty and wonder of the world that surrounds you, to always give thanks for what you have and for those in your life, to know you are one small part of this world but you can make a difference, and most importantly, never give up. When feeling overpowered and weakened, keep going as best as you can.
What does it say to you?

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and moving song. Kudos to dad for selecting such an appropriate song.

    ReplyDelete