Sunday, January 10, 2010

ESCAPE

I was feeling a bit stir crazy today.  After having been in my office all week from 9 am to 5 pm (or later) and then being ill Saturday, it was only natural to have a yearning to head to natural settings to escape, with my camera in tow.  After church and a brunch with friends, I took a walk on the Clackamas Community College campus for a bit.  I always find beauty there.
I viewed plants shimmering with dew (this one is a Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans.'  THANKS LISA!)...

I discovered there are still splashes of color adorning the landscape (this is a witchhazel -THANKS LISA)...




















Not having my fill, I decided to explore more, so I took a drive out to Milo McIver State Park.  The wilderness is so different during each season, and all are magical if you take the time to enjoy it.  I found a wonderful view of Mt. Hood draped in velvety snow...

Moss covered branches were a mix of rough and soft textures...


I came across some very unusal plant-life growing on many trees (a species of lichen called Usnea longissima, or "Methusela's beard") , looking almost as if someone had purposefully draped it.  I felt like I had stepped into a scene from a sci fi movie...





Soft clumps of moss bedecked branches...


It was all so beautiful and the stroll was so relieving, reviving and refocusing.
I am so thankful for being able to enjoy my world and savor its beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for you! Not only do you know how to cheer yourself up and nourish your soul, you very generously bring us along. Thank you Rose. Your photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful. That first one is a Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans'. I have one just outside my fence. And the witch hazel, in addition to being unique and colorful, smells wonderful.

    ReplyDelete