Monday, July 13, 2015

FIRE!

Last night I had some excitement but not the kind that is enjoyable.  The fuse box for my air conditioner/heat pump burned up!  Luckily I was home and it did not get any further than the box!
I had become aware of the fact that my home was not cooling but rather getting hotter. I was on the phone to my mother and decided to check the thermostat and saw it was 89 degrees inside--too hot. So I went to the door and listened and realized I could not hear the unit outside on, so I went out to look and saw smoke and ash coming out of the box on the wall for the A/C unit. Needless to say, I got a little panicky. The box was hot to touch so I ran in hanging up with my mom, and looking at the main electrical box for if something should be turned off! Then as I was doing that I called Christina and asked if her husband could come take a look and make sure I am doing it right.  I know I must have sounded upset.  He came and looked at it and was surprised at how burned it was, and he turned off more things in the electrical box as so many marked for things we could not understand. Better safe than sorry!
These are photos of the fuse box and 2 covers.  Thank God it was caught in time and no further damage was done.  It was possible that things could have been worse. 
Now I just have to deal with the insurance company and the electrical company to arrange repair.
Both fuses inside were melted!  The Lord was looking out for me and made me go check!

8 comments:

  1. Someone was looking out for you! So fortunate that you were home and detected that all was not well. Insurance and that heat pump company ought to make repairs and compensation! Fires especially in these dry day are very frightening. So glad you're safe! Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your dear heart! Just what you need - - more stress. Best of luck for quick repairs and complete insurance coverage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully you caught it in time. Wow! You must have some angels watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank goodness you were home and paying attention! I agree, you must have some watchful angels! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose,
    Let me know if you need a referral to an electrician. We also have a trusted Hvac guy. Wishing you iced tea and shade as you work through this fix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew! Great thing that you caught that before a lot of damage (and danger) was done!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose I am so glad you are OK! Fire is so scary and with it being outside like that you could have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you and the house are okay!

    ReplyDelete