Thursday, December 8, 2011

ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION

I just watched the movie THE HELP, and my recommendation--must see!!!!  First of all, one of the main characters-Skeeter-wants to be a writer.  I know a few women with the same aspiration!  But Skeeter also wants to write a book sharing the feelings and experiences and treatment of the women and men who are the "help" in this Mississippi town in the 1960's. 
I was young in the 60's, in high school 1966-1970, and had heard "stories" of what was happening at the time but was naive and maybe protected from it all.  This movie was so revealing for me.  It touched me and I laughed and cried.
The Home Health Sanitation Initiative that one character proposes which would require White homes to have outside toilets for the Negro help so they would not sit on the same toilets as the white family was such a shock to me.  The treatment of the help in the homes of these people was so sad.
I fell in love with the character Celia Foote.  She was so kind and accepting of Minny whom she hires to help her.  When Celia insisted on sitting down at the same table to eat lunch with Minny I was so moved.  Such a kind and accepting thing to do.  I loved how innocent, naive and kind Celia was and hated the way the other women of the town treated her. Hilly helps to teach Celia how to cook, dress and act.  They have a relationship closer to girlfriends than employer/employee. Hilly keeps bugging Skeeter to put the information about her initiative in the newsletter she writes for and to also ask people to bring old coats to her house for the Negroes. Skeeter puts Hilly's new law in the newsletter, as well as an advertisement to bring old coats to Hilly's house. Skeeter changes it from coats to commodes and it is so funny to see Hilly discovering her lawn covered in old toilets.  It was funny until the child, Mae Mobley, sits on one of the toilets and goes potty.  Her mother, Elizabeth, slaps her till she is sobbing. Later Aibeleen, the negro woman who cares for Mae,  holds little Mae and whispers to her "You is kind. You is smart. You is important."  Sad and touching scene.
There is so much more in this movie to tug at your heart strings, but I do not want to give it all away.  I just have to say  see this movie.  And have a box of tissues handy.

2 comments:

  1. I read the book and loved it. I intend to rent the movie now that it's available on DVD. Excellent review. :-) Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends were watching this the other night, but I didn't get to see much of it. I've heard both the book and the movie are great.

    ReplyDelete