Saturday, March 24, 2012

Words with Wisdom

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  - Mark Twain, American writer 
This is one quote that all young people should listen to.  Reading it now makes me think of things I wish I had done. Nothing big. I would love to have gone to an outdoor movie in a park and danced, just like in the movie Wedding Planner.  I would have spent a weekend in a tree house, or gone skinny dipping in a warm springs, swam with a dolphin, posed for an artist to draw me (in a unique garb-not nude!), ridden a horse along a beach, gone for a sleigh ride, or sang karaoke. 

 "You can't smooth out the surf, but you can learn to ride the waves."  - Author unknown 
Life is rather like the surf, isn't it. Sometimes calm with little lapping waves that tickle the toes, and then a storm causes large waves that thunder upon the shore.  I am slowly learning how to ride the waves.
 



 "Better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness."  - Chinese Proverb
I have been "lighting" more candles lately. My candles are experiences--hikes to photograph beauty I see, feeding whimsical squirrels, watching bees flit among flowers, talking to friends, reading poetry, church-these "candles" shine in my life.

  

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars..."  - Charles A. Beard
Similar to the 'it's always darkest before the dawn' idea. But when life does seem dark, little stars will shine. The little moments have turned into Milky Way's for me--listening to my cat purring, watching birds dart among the leaves, observing children building snowmen after a freak storm, finding a ladybug on a leaf, hugging a friend--it all adds a pinpoint of light in my darkness. Then suddenly it does not seem so dark and has become beautiful.

 When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold.  They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.  ~Barbara Bloom
This is beautiful!  It made me think of people who have a physical disability, be it by birth, surgery or accident.  Their "wound" is gold.  It can also apply to people who have suffered in non-physical ways.  Their unseen cracks and scars are gold, and make them stronger and better. 
 

We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails. ~Author Unknown
 So true. Stop fighting the wind, but turn and change direction. The path will adjust and life will be easier. Trying to walk head on into the wind slows your progress, burns your skin, musses your hair and drowns out your cries. Know what I mean?  

 A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half-cracked.  ~Author Unknown
I love when friends accept you--flaws, foibles, eccentricities, and all--and do not try to change you. I am a cracked egg. And as I see it, none of us are perfect. But being accepting and accepted is true friendship.
A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.  ~Attributed to Heather Pryor
Through all I have been through I have been so touched by friends. They reached for my hand, offered comfort, support and friendship.  My heart has been so touched by the wonderful support when I was down. It made me realize just how blessed and fortunate I am, and put stars in my dark sky!
What quotes add to your visions of life, love, friends, -- whatever.  Share in your comments!  Please!!

9 comments:

  1. "What goes around, comes around." It reminds me that I have an influence on the world I live in. If I steal, lie and cheat, it is likely that people will steal, lie and cheat on me, and I will expect it. If I am honest, kind and generous, honesty, kindness and generosity comes back to me and people will be better than they thought they were because I expect it of them.

    "Life is short. Eat dessert first." We go to estate sales and find so many things that have been put away for good, and never used at all. Never enjoyed. Never appreciated. Use the good china, wear the beautiful nighty. Right now is the best time to enjoy your nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, I was so touched, and inspired by this post. It was a perfect morning meditation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful post, Rose. The photographs are stunning and beautiful; and the quotations and thoughts seem to open doors just when you feel they've all been closed, except for the one you don't want to enter. Thank you so much. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the inspiring quotes this morning. Loved every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quotes, Rose. Very inspirational. I was fortunate enough to have spent my early twenties pursuing things I would've regretted if I hadn't tried them. Instead, I regretted not having a family. But you know, it's not to late for many of the things on your list. I think you should go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxie, I love your quotes. I guess I should start using those special dishes!! Even if it is just for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Rose, just beautiful and inspiring. A wonderful way for me to finish my evening.
    Have a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya know, Rose, I see nothing in Twain's quote that suggests he meant to direct it to young people. You've got some decades left ahead of you to accomplish the things you've listed. Throw off the bowlines, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my favorite saying (at this point in life) is: "It's not all about you. Because of course, I think it is. Great quotes to life and change by.

    ReplyDelete