Monday, September 12, 2016

INSPIRATION FOR ME



 The last few months of my husband's life, during very difficult times handling his physical disabilities and his frontal lobe dementia (he had for the last 6 years of his life) this song had special meaning for me, both before his passing and after.

I WON’T GIVE UP by JASON MRAZ

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold  (he had beautiful eyes that spoke to me)
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us  (I was inspired to keep going through difficult days)
Even if the skies get rough  (they did get rough)
I'm giving you all my love    (to the end)
I'm still looking up                (now looking to heaven)

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth             (he, to me, was a falling star)
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it               (we, as a couple, were worth the struggle)
No, I won't give up.
I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily    (Amen)
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make    (and I did)
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got, yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not, and who I am    (These last few lines say so much)

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up, I'm still looking up.

Well, I won't give up on us -no I'm not giving up
God knows I'm tough enough - I am tough, I am loved
We've got a lot to learn -we're alive, we are loved
God knows we're worth it -and we're worth it                    (another Amen from me)

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up                     (now he looks down on me)

After my husband passed, a dear friend of mine and her daughter said this song said it all.  She did not know that it got me through the last difficult months.  I felt like I was facing it all alone as many did not want to see him in that way, and no one offered to help with him.  I HAD to be strong, and even in the most difficult, heart breaking moments, I "heard" this song.  When I wanted to run away from it all, the words played for me.  
Is there a song that has "played" for you when facing difficult days?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful words. We move forward with our lives,alone,yet not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful song, Rose and so powerfully soul affirming. My Father had Alzheimer's the last few years of his life and I helped care for him. After my parent's died (within a year of one another), the song by James Taylor - 'Fire and Rain' seemed to resonate with my feelings of their loss. Life can be so incredibly hard and lonely sometimes......thinking of you. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always very admirative when you tell us about your past. You've been trough a lot and have been very brave about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose, I am so glad that this beautiful song got you through difficult times! You are a special lady!!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete