Friday, June 10, 2022

A POEM

 

Hi mom and dad,

 

I’ve been thinking about you both.

I miss our 3-way phone conversations,

which always left my mind spinning,

and the individual one-on-one tete-a-tetes.

You both are frequently in my thoughts,

countless moments remembered.

 

Mom, whenever I watch Flea Market Flip

I think of the times we watched together

and would remark on the innovative projects.

You would always tell me that I could

create items just as imaginative as they did.

 

Dad, I remember when you’d be watching

a show on History channel which you thought

I’d enjoy, so you’d call me and tell me

to click to that channel. I liked that you

wanted to share that with me.

 

You were always so strong in my eyes, dad,

but the first time I saw you weak

was during one visit where you

had passed out in your bedroom.

I was shocked by how pale you looked.

I felt terrified. My strong dad, weak.

 

When you had your stroke, mom,

I knew things would never be the same.

Life was so changed after all that.

Your memories were altered, words confused.

I wish we could still talk of the special

moments and memories in our lives.

 

Where have the years gone? Why so fast?

When did you both grow old and frail?

Now you’re both gone. Nothing more

can be shared. I miss you.

Love, your daughter, Rose.

 

Rose Hodgerson Lefebvre©

12 comments:

  1. Very sweet and familiar. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tender remembrance, Rose. May your sweet memories bring comfort when you are missing them.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought tears to my eyes. Sharon B.

    ReplyDelete

  4. so sweet and touching, JT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rose-I wish I were there to give you a big hug. So much loss for you.. . I know your parents were so proud of you and that they loved you. You’ve got an amazing heart from both of them and you’ll never lose that. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. A touching poem, Rose - I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs x K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and sweet thoughts. Marie-France

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet and touching Rose. Sorry that both of your sweet parents are gone. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, Rose. You're so lucky to have parents you miss. How hard when they leave you. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very touching. Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Rose. That was heartfelt and lovely. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. The years certainly fly by and then we stop and realise how many years it has been since our parents past. But we still hold our memories of them, which you have shared here. Lovely. Stay safe, enjoy your week, and thankyou for visiting my blog last week.

    ReplyDelete