Friday, November 3, 2017

EXPRESSION

Many deal with relatives or friends who suffer with Alzheimer's or dementia.  It is the most difficult and heartbreaking thing for both the loved one and those who love.  My husband had frontal lobe dementia through the last 6 years of his life. He passed November 10th 2012, soon to be 5 years gone.  This poem is a small reflection of feelings during that time. Some can relate.

ASK ME
When the day is warm with smiles
and trees petticoat the sky,
ask me how I endured.
Others said I was strong,
yet I felt helpless, hopeless,
wondered if it would ever end,
and feeling guilty for that thought.

Ask me if I felt anger
and listen as I spout emotions,
express pain, without confrontation.
Ask me how I endured hurtful, venomous words,
spouted from lips that once spoke love,
and I’ll tell you how I escaped conflict,
let words ride wind to glide away.

Today you, my dear friend, are my rock.
Let me flow around you, envelop you,
ultimately moving beyond grief, anger, pain,
to eddy in stillness and calm.

Ask me and listen.

Rose Lefebvre©

12 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful, heartfelt piece dear Rose.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose this is so beautiful and touched my heart. Your words flow from your heart and we that get to read them benefit. I am sending this beautiful poem to a friend that it will touch deeply this morning. Thank you for sharing. Happy Friday.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words.Many of those same feelings passed through my mind during my husband's illness and death.I said a final good-bye to my Hubby exactly two years before you lost yours.Nov.10 will always hold special moments of memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, we had to mourn losing them more than once.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Rose, I can so relate. My dear Father suffered from Alzheimer's the last 10 years of his life. Your words touched me deeply. Thank you for sharing. Hugs and blessings for your week. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is so difficult dealing with dementia. My husband was so young.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rose,
    I am so sorry about your hubby. My mother also had dementia and passed away at 95. I was late to read your comment on my blog and am so pleased that your mom is cancer free but am saddened to hear about your other family member. So heartbreaking. Rose you look awesome in those pics. Have you lost weight? I need to get in shape like you. Blessings Sweet Friend. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost lots of weight. I am continuing to exercise and do water aerobics to keep it off. Good for my health at 65!

      Delete