Friday, December 10, 2021

RELAXING IN NEWPORT, OR

 Randy and I were in need of a peaceful escape.  He is such a sweetheart that he arranged for us to stay in Newport, OR from Dec 5th-9th. We had a lovely room at the Hallmark which had a balcony and ocean view and a fireplace!   Randy on the balcony and the view from our 4th floor room.
Can you see the 2 crocodiles on the beach?
It was so nice.  Best of all, we were next door to Georgie's Restaurant, which makes the BEST clam chowder on the coast (most likely anywhere!). 
Their other meals are delicious as well!  
We visited Yaquina Bay and the Yaquina lighthouse. Gorgeous!
Randy
We visited Hatfield Marine Science Center. We had to reserve our time due to COVID rules. It was so much fun. They have indoor "tidepools" to explore and touch a few creatures, like starfish and anemone. There were fish to view. They had things to experience as well.
In one tank you can build something with Legos and then create a tsunami to see what happens.
This is a sea lion skeleton. They can be so big!
Young sperm whale skeleton.
Killer whale skull
This walrus was a 3 D art piece. Body was painted mural on the wall 
and the head was sticking out from the wall!
Hatfield mural inside the building
Randy outside the Hatfield Marine Science center reading about this
little yellow submarine. Doubt it is the one in the Beatle song.
We saw some ships docked in the bay at Newport.
There are murals scattered here and there about the town.
Randy got a lesson on roaring from the Hulk. He is in front of Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum, which we DID NOT visit. Not for us. Doesn't he look fierce!?
Here's Randy with Kong.
This is me--Mermaid Rose, Siren of the Sea!
Randy encounters an octopus!
Pirate RRRRandy!
Rose carousing with a classy pirate!
Imagine...a seagull at the coast!
More murals!
Two views of Yaquina bridge
Whale mural
Another whale mural, this one by the famous Wyland!
I had noticed little engravings in the sidewalks around town.
Now the sea lions!
I laughed when I saw this sign in Newport, OR!
We had fun! An escape is highly recommended!






33 comments:

  1. Great Pictures, Rose. I think I climbed that light house, but that was years ago! LOL Moma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a nice trip. I'm glad you got to go. Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so happy that love has found you again ♥️ Alli Waters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great trip - that chowder plate made me hungry!! Marie-France

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the beach off your deck! Looks like a great get-away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Randy take the best trips. Looks like a wonderful get away for the two of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so needed. Plan more in the new year.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a beautiful place to visit. I'm glad you had fun Rose. Happy 22, take care.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping for a much better 2022. Happy new year and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Rose, what a marvelous tour you've taken us on!! So many wonderful shots of interesting objects and views; I must save these for another look another day! Thank you so much! Very happy to see you and Randy enjoying your selves. Keep up the "good work!" (ha ha) Love, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to see! Glad you're having fun. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! Love the science center. Teri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a wonderful time away. Even a few days is food for the soul. Thankyou for sharing. Safe travels, enjoy your weekend ahead and thank you for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun trip down memory lane! My husband and I used to go to Newport almosy every year in the early 2000's. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas. Glad I brought you memories

      Delete
  13. SO MUCH FUN! I am happy that you two escaped together. Always good for the spirit and soul. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  14. I now want to go! Love the photographs! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this post, your photos are so beautiful and helpful, I feel transported to my home town! It makes me think we might need some clam chowder soon, too! I am so glad you both had such a wonderful escape to the coast!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos. What a beautiful place to stay and visit. Merry Christmas, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great pictures, aren't anemone the most beautiful things in the sea! I would like to visit, so much to see.

    ReplyDelete