Friday, May 13, 2022

A POEM FROM A DREAM (OR NIGHTMARE?)

 One night I had an emotional dream and so this poem evolved.

CLIMB by Rose Lefebvre

The dream unnerved me,

left fear in my heart,

my body trembling.

It was a towering tree,

a tree empty of life.

Neither top or bottom

could be seen, only more dubious

branches above, broken ones below.

Murky grey fog surrounded me,

no light, yet I felt it was somewhere above

if only I could climb high enough.

Each step I took higher

I would feel that branch

give way ‘neath my feet.

Each stride exhausted me,

yet urgency drew me up.

I believed if I stopped

I would perish.

Reach up!

Reach higher!

Continue to climb!

Stay alive!

 

Is this what it’s like

when in your last hours?

A weakening struggle to live

yet slowly surrendering,

gradually tiring?

What did it mean?


This dream nightmare,

left me shaken,

pondering.

It was not real.

5 comments:

  1. Dreams can feel so real and leave us a bit unnerved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good poem Rose. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite a dream, Rose. It is really thought provoking.
    Moma

    ReplyDelete
  4. just how I feel when I come out of a bad dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dream do feel like they are nightmares sometimes. I think it is our brains jumbling many things together that we are thinking in our subconscious and they can feel so real. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete