Monday, October 10, 2022

RIDGEFIELD WILDLIFE REFUGE IN WASHINGTON

 Just about an hours drive from where we live is a wildlife refuge that I have visited a few times by myself, but this time I took Randy with me. Last time I was there was in 2018 and I remember the large lake and all the birds and the drive around it. There was a bird blind and a short hiking trail, too.  The hiking trail was closed this time and the lake...hardly there! Shows how our treatment of our planet is affecting our world. Here are a few photos of the views there, which mostly used to be water. It was a little hazy due to smoke from a fire being blown this way but we could not smell it. You can notice the lack of water everywhere. 

We were very excited to see quite a few blue herons there, mostly off in the distance, but a few where we could get photographs of them. Notice the smoky haze.
While we were watching one one blue heron very close to the road that goes around the area (you must stay in vehicles) he caught a critter (mouse?) and ate it! We were so pleasantly surprised.
We saw other creatures as well...
There were various birds which moved fast so I could not get a shot, but this one seemed curious about me leaning out the car window.
I am not sure what kind of bird this is but it was very large. It soared for a long time as if hunting.
Any guesses?
There were many various kinds of ducks in the little bit of water like a stream along the road.
I like their blue stripes.
And turtles were everywhere.
It was great to get out and be with nature.
There are 2 areas of Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge.
One is located off Main St. with a large new building that was closed while we were there and it is a hiking trail around a wetland area. Because of my knees we opted to go to the other drive-around area as slopes are difficult for me.
The other entrance to the 2nd area that you view from your car is off of 9th Ave/Hillhurst (one in the same street). I prefer this route as it is easiest for my abilities.
I hope you enjoy the photos and maybe visit next year. We plan to return next year in the spring.

8 comments:

  1. Sad you could see the difference in just 3 years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary. It affects migrating birds. We saw another wetlands in Bend area where they said it will never recover and has become a prairie.

      Delete
  2. Turtles and ducks and lots of grassland. Thanks for sharing! Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. The large brown bird that was hunting was a female northern.harrier. Mary Doak

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures tell the story, Rose! The smoke and lack of water is alarming. However, your pictures were so lovely. Thank you for sharing! Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to one wetlands where they said it would now be a prairie by next year as it is drying up and not getting any water flow back into it. Sad to see and hard on migrating birds.

      Delete